Utah Governor Gary Herbert has issued Executive Order 75, which requires employers to follow certain COVID-19 related safety requirements for the duration of the public health emergency. The Order is effective immediately.
Under the Order, businesses must require each:
- Employee and contractor to wear a face mask while at work;
- Patron who enters a business premise to wear a face mask, including at doors and entrances; and
- Separate household group at a business, or each separate party at a bar or restaurant, to maintain at least six feet of physical distance from others, including at doors and entrances.
Employee Mask Requirements:
An employee's mask must cover their nose and mouth, be made of synthetic or natural fabrics and rest snugly against an employee's nose, sides of the face, and under the chin. The Order expressly prohibits face masks made of web-like materials (mesh, lace, and crochet) or masks with openings, such as vents, exhalation valves, or other gaps.
Employees may remove their masks in the following circumstances:
- While actively eating or drinking;
- While solely occupying a room, cubicle, or similar enclosure;
- When communicating with a person who is deaf or hard of hearing, if communication cannot be achieved through other means and the speaker wears a face shield or uses alternative protection such as a plexiglass barrier;
- While obtaining or providing a service that requires the temporary removal of the mask;
- While swimming or on duty as a lifeguard;
- While giving a religious, political, media, educational, artistic, cultural, musical, or theatrical presentation for an audience;
- When engaging in work in which wearing a mask would create a risk to the person, while following government safety guidelines;
- When it's necessary to confirm a person's identity;
- When federal or state laws or regulations prohibit wearing a face mask; and
- If they're prevented from wearing a mask due to a medical or mental health condition or an intellectual or developmental disability.
Employers must post signage in a conspicuous location that:
- Provides notice of face mask and physical distancing requirements;
- Asks employees and customers experiencing COVID-19 symptoms to stay home; and
- Lists COVID-19 symptoms.
Employers should update their health and safety policies, procedures and training to comply with the Order. Please contact your dedicated service professional with any questions.